- 2 large aubergines, cut into rings
- 2 chillies, cut open; retain the pips
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- ½ green pepper, cut into chunks
- ½ red pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- a few cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 20 ml salt
- 15 ml fish sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- whole peppercorns
- whole allspice
- 125 ml white- or brown vinegar
- olive oil
Arrange the vegetables and flavourants in a clean glass jar and add the vinegar. Put the jar in a pot half-filled with hot water. The vinegar should cover the pickles completely. Let boil without lid for about 10 minutes. To seal, supplement the fluid if necessary until it’s up to the mouth of the jar and add a bottle cap of olive oil. Close the lid. Hold the jar under cold running water (the cold makes the lid seal properly.) Let it stand in a cool place for 6 weeks before use.
Only use young, healthy vegetables for a nice, crisp pickle. White vinegar lends a bright colour to the pickle, while brown vinegar gives a better taste. The pickle shouldn’t touch metal while it boils.