- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 1 kg deboned leg of lamb, cubed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 5 ml fennel seeds, crushed in mortar and pestle
- 10 ml cumin
- 10 ml coriander
- 15 ml garam masala
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 ml ginger
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 ml dried chili flakes
- 15 ml turmeric
- 1 can (410 g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 250 ml water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 loaves of white bread, to serve
Preheat oven to 180 °C. Heat oil in an oven pan. Cook meat bit by bit and keep to one side. Use some more oil (if necessary) and cook onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and all the spices. Cook for about 1 minute. Add canned tomatoes, coconut milk and lemon juice. Add meat and water. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast in the oven for about 2 hours until meat is nice and soft. Keep watch – as the water cooks off, you may need to add more. Halve loaves and hollow them out. Spoon some curry in and serve half a loaf per person, with atchar and chutney.
Tip The meat should be at room temperature when you start cooking. This way, less of the meat’s juices will cook out.
To drink: A truly South African beer like Castle.