- 500 g dried haricot beans
- 30 ml olive oil
- 3 kassler chops (smoked pork chops)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1,5 litres vegetable stock
Soak beans overnight or cook on the same day. If you are soaking them overnight, put beans in bowl and cover with cold water. Drain the following morning, put in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook until almost soft. Drain. Cut meat from the bone and then cut into cubes. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Brown the meat for about 15 minutes. Reduce heat and add celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Fry another 15 minutes. Add beans, thyme and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Add stock and bring to the boil. Put on the lid and simmer for 2-3 hours.
HINT: Watch the soup. If it becomes too thick for your taste, just add more stock.